Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Panama celebrates for first gold medal in its history

Panamanians celebrated excited on Monday the gold medal Irving Saladino won in long jump with 8.34m at the Olympic Games of Beijing, since this was the first gold Panama ever won at the Olympics.

Panamanian media broadcasted live the competition and Panamanian people stopped activities to watch Saladino's performance.

Irving Jahir Saladino Aranda of Panama competes during the men's long jump final at the National Stadium, also known as the Bird's Nest, during Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China, Aug. 18, 2008. Irving Jahir Saladino Aranda won the gold.
When Saladino won the medal, it started a carnival in the city of Colon, in the Atlantic coast, people went out to celebrate the medal and the celebration also took place in other provinces.

This is the first gold medal Panama wins in the history of its participation at the Olympic Games, previously it has won two bronze medals by the runner Lloyd La Bech during the Olympic Games of London 1948.

David Saladino, father of Irving Saladino, said that "Irving has promised me to win the gold medal for Panama, and he did it" and he added that "I'm the happiest man of the world."

David also said that Irving made history because he achieved the first gold medal in the history of Panama, "he gave us a good result today, he gave us a medal that for so long we didn't have here in Panama. Ok let's celebrate Irving's triumph."

Cristina, the mother of Irving, said that "I was sure, completely sure that everything would be fine and this medal would be for Panama.

Irving's brother said that "now I can feel relieved, I had headache and I was nervous, because the jumps other competitors were performing. But, I knew my brother would give a good jump, and well, there is the medal for Panama."

The first thing Irving did, after winning the medal, was to call his family and greet the Panamanian people and he said that "the medal is yours, you are the ones who have won it. I send my greetings to all the people in Colon who have helped me a lot."

Source:Xinhua

No comments: